Being a firefighter has always been one of your aspirations in life. Fighting off fire and saving lives seemed like a fulfilling and promising career. Unfortunately, your career path led you to a different profession and whilst you are happy with what you currently do, there is still that part of you that thinks about how life would have been if you have become a firefighter. This is why, when it was announced in the office that the spot for the fire warden has been opened, you cannot help but be excited. Sure, it is a far cry from the exciting and challenging job of a firefighter, still you would want to get this role for yourself.
Soon you realise that you are not the only person vying for this position. Many co-employees of yours are also up for the task of ensuring fire safety within the workplace. But you want this so bad that you are willing to show your employer that you have what it takes to become the best fire warden he has ever seen. But you stop short, and ask yourself, what are the qualities of a competent fire warden? Here are a few that you should imbibe so you would have an edge over your competition.
1. Grace under pressure – A fire emergency can cause people to panic and become tense. As a fire warden, you have to show your superiors that you have the ability to maintain grace when put under pressure. This means that you should remain calm during fire drill exercises and do everything you need to do with a clear and rational mind.
2. Intelligence – It is imperative that you show your employers that you are smart and you have the mental capacity to understand everything you need to know during fire seminars and drills. Fire wardens learn a great deal about fire safety such as how to use fire safety devices such as fire extinguisher and fire blanket, and what to do during a real fire outbreak. If you are not intellectually capable, it would be difficult for you to do the job of a fire warden effectively.
3. Physical fitness – One’s mental capability is not the only thing important here but so is a person’s physical fitness. A fire warden should be fit enough to be able to respond quickly to emergencies.
4. Leadership skills – A fire warden would be leading the people in the building during a real fire emergency. This means that you should exhibit efficient leadership capabilities to show that you are a good candidate for this post.
5. Confidence – Without confidence, you would not be able to make smart decisions and stand by them.
6. Critical eye for details – This is essential because part of a fire warden’s responsibilities is to inspect fire safety devices regularly. If you do not have keen observation skills, you may miss out on small important details that can result in detrimental consequences.
Being a fire warden is not an easy job. You will be responsible for the safety of your co-employees when a fire outbreak occurs. But in the end you would also know how fulfilling and rewarding this job can be that you probably would not mind all the challenges and hardships that you would face along the way. Remember the tips mentioned above so you will have a better chance of getting the position that would make your dream finally come true.