The industries are increasing demanding ceramic ferrules over its varied uses. They might be a little expensive bit when it comes to the strength of the products there can be no doubt about them. Do you know what are these products made up of? Well, to your knowledge we will like to add that these materials are made up of ceramic or composite substances as their name suggests. Now the fiber and optical technology are being used enhancing fiber-optic communications. These help in lowering the cost of the materials. You should also add to your information that the most important part of optic fibers are the ferrules.
Properties of ceramic ferrules
If you are unaware of the properties of these materials take a look at the below-mentioned pointers. They will help you understand the properties:
• The material is opaque.
• They require polishing.
• The materials are low in fibers.
• It exhibits lower expansion than other materials.
• They have a higher bending strength than the normal glass.
• Serves as a strong contact point as optical connectors.
• Lesser stress is seen in them due to thermal expansion.
• A glass ferrule is softer in comparison to others.
• They have low polishing costs.
Some interesting features of ceramic ferrules
Durability- There is a superior level of control over the dimension. They are very much good for fiber application uses.
Highly polished surface- The presence of zirconia materials in them offers a smooth polishing. Thus, you will find a good surface finish with the materials.
Convenient application- The use of recent technologies have made molding of the ferrules easier. The machining is also convenient now. They are good for single as well as multimode application.
Has protection against abrasives and hot gases- They are used in the heat exchangers and shell inlet because of their power to protect against abrasive particles and hot gases.
Enables connection- The ceramic ferrules are very important for the industries as they help in connecting fiber optic cables.
Choosing ceramic ferrules
If you are choosing these materials you should keep in mind the following points for doing so.
1. Determine your requirement
2. Find the type that best suits your needs
3. Consider the acceptable limit of insertion and reflection loss
4. Choose the most effective connector
5. Take into account the polishing method
6. Check the price
By following the above-mentioned points you can choose the best materials for your needs. We hope this article has been helpful to you in understanding the nature and uses of ceramic ferrules.