What is it sensible to look for? Well, when we look for earrings for ourselves, we want comfort, safety and of course, to look good. And we want to really LOVE the earrings! Well, purchasing earrings for kids is much the same, but with a couple of extras to bear in mind, especially when we’re buying our kids their first few pairs of earrings for newly pierced ears. We’ve put together 6 points to guide you.
1. The earrings must first of all be made of a non toxic metal. Preferably sterling silver, stainless steel, or gold. Alloys we should be wary of, since we don’t know the components and could contain such toxic elements as cadmium, lead or nickel. These elements can cause serious health problems to children, especially very young children.
2. They must be petite so as not to overwhelm a tiny earlobe. Large earrings on little lobes, is not a good look! Also, the larger they are, the weightier they are and if they’re first-time-earring-wearers, the tinier the better.
3. They must be lightweight and comfortable. Especially for those first-time-earring-wearers, who might fiddle if they can feel them. If they can’t feel them, they will forget they’re wearing them, therefore they will not fiddle with them and lose them. Avoid little drop earrings for first-timers, because the movement will only serve to remind them of the earrings they’re wearing. Fiddling with them usually results in the backs coming off and the loss of an earring. And you don’t want to be buying new children’s earrings every week!
4. They must have a short rod, therefore made for children, not adults. However, adults can usually wear children’s earrings! Surprisingly, the thickness of ears doesn’t change much as we grow up. But if the rod is short, it’s not going to push against her head behind her ear, which is very important!
5. They must have firmly fitting backs or safety screw backs. The earrings we choose with love, are too good to lose!
6. And they must have an element that’s attractive to kids! Now this might be color, as in colorful stones or enameling, or shape, as in features like hearts, ladybugs, butterflies etc. Sparkle and shine is another feature very attractive to kids. A sparkly lead-free crystal or cz stone, especially in pink or other child-friendly color, or highly polished silver or gold, both features kids, especially little ones, really love.