Automotive lifts save time when you need to do repair jobs, by making the lower part of the car accessible. They are an essential item of garage equipment supply. When draining oil, you can easily remove the drain plug, which is located on the bottom of the vehicle. Without a car lift, you would need to use a hydraulic jack to raise the front end of the car and place two jack stands under it. These would need to be in place before you could drain the oil. Before you use a car lift, you should know the basic safety rules. That way you’ll avoid accidents. Failure to follow safety rules can lead to injury and even death.
Below are some “dos and don’ts” for to keep in mind when using automotive lifts.
Automotive Lift Do’s:
• Be sure to have proper training on the basic operations of the lift. Improper use can result in someone getting hurt.
• Make a thorough inspection of the car lift before using it every day. Each component must be in working order and properly lubricated.
• The locking devices must engage tightly. If one is loose, fix it.
• Always wear safety goggles when working under the car. This will prevent dirt from getting in your eyes.
• The vehicle should be balanced on the auto lift before you raise it up. You don’t want it to topple over.
• If you’re using a drive-on car lift, make sure that you place the safety wedge behind the tire. Without it, the car might slide off.
• Before lifting, check to see if you have enough ceiling clearance. This is especially important for tall vehicles like RV’s and trucks.
• Stop lifting at knee height and gently check the stability of the car on the lift. That way, you can adjust the position of the car before raising it higher.
• Before you lower the car, clear the area below of tools and people.
Vehicle Lift Don’ts:
• The vehicle must be empty before raising it up. Never lift it if it still has occupants.
• Each car lift model has a specified maximum weight capacity. You must not exceed the limit at any time.
• Some situations require the use of support stands, such as when you remove the transmission or engine of a car. Don’t lower the vehicle onto the support stand, but rather raise the support to the vehicle’s level.
• Don’t repair a car lift by yourself when you encounter a problem with. Get in touch with the manufacturer.