What Cisco CCIE Exams Are Like?
Many networking experts know Cisco CCIE exams really well. Really, this certificate can change your life – both in terms of career and personal development. The exams are very hard, but the thing is worth the efforts. Today Cisco offers you to get a degree in 8 tracks like Service Provider, Security, Voice and Wireless. Any of the tracks represents a whole big area of networking.
One of the best things about CCIE is that no additional certificates or degrees are needed to apply for it. You just have to go through two trials. The first one is the written test. It will include 90-110 questions examining your theoretical knowledge in the area you choose. The passing score here varies depending on the number of questions, but usually it’s about 70% of correct answers.
Passing the theoretical test may inspire you a lot. Moreover, it gives a right to proceed to the second part of CCIE examination – the lab. Its duration is 8 long hours spent on solving different network building and troubleshooting tasks. The pass score for lab exams is 80%, which is pretty much. However, if you get the needed percentage, you’ll automatically join the exclusive group of world’s best networking experts.
Key Facts on Cisco CCIE Security Tracks
One of the most popular exam tracks is ccie security. It covers many topics related with building and supporting networks powered by Cisco equipment. To get the Security degree means to get a lot of opportunities for career promotion.
Probably the main reason why this certificate is valued so high is that the exam standards are extremely high. There’s even a joke: “To see a CCIE expert in the flesh is a good sign”. Really, the number of degree holders is extremely small, and that’s another reason why the value of those guys is very high. To make the image brighter we’ll say that the average salary of program graduates is $120,000.
CCIE Tips – How to Pass Security Lab Successfully
If you have decided to take Security exams, you’ll have to go through the long process of perfecting your network expert’s skills. Most examinees claim that the lab is really hard compared to the written tests. To make the preparations process easier, we’ve put together several useful tips on how to end it all holding a real Cisco certificate.
1. Read more books. Though the Security lab is more about practice, it’s always good to start with theory. Read relevant books and check several case studies. Also, we advise you to read a couple of lab-focused publications offering sample tasks with solutions. Cisco exams are known really well, so finding printed materials and media on topic won’t take much time.
2. Practice makes perfect. Really, many CCIE wannabes fail because they are too self-assured. If you learn something important in theory, try it in practice. The more you practice the more chances you have to complete the lab successfully. Even if you know something in theory, the tense lab ambient can press on you, and you won’t be able to solve some easy cases.
3. Rent a Cisco virtual rack. Today many companies offer virtual rack rental services. Those racks copy real Cisco equipment you’ll operate at the labs. It’s really good to order several sessions when you are ready to try yourself in practice. Moreover, this is good in terms of psychology, as the hardware configuration won’t surprise you at the actual exam any more.
4. Final preparations at mockup labs. After you’ve learned a lot and tried it all in practice, try to pass a mockup lab. You might also like the fact that there are several levels of mockup labs. This means, after several pre-lab tests your skills can even overcome CCIE requirements.
5. Get Ready for the unexpected. Finally, there are many issues not related to networking at all. For instance, many examinees make a special emphasis on timing. Though 8 hours are quite a lot, you should use the time wisely, and resolve all tasks as soon as possible. So, try to model some extra factors, and various failures won’t stress you at the exam.
To sum it all up, we’ve outlined some 5 steps that can help you get the lucky certificate. However, the list is always open. Be creative, google, and you’ll find even more methods for improving your practical skills before sitting the lab. In any case, we hope our tips will help you progress. Thanks for you attention and good luck!